Friday, December 12, 2014

McCall's 6404: black leggings

This pattern suggests double knits; I used a black ponte from JoAnn, pet hair was my own addition though.
Ah yes, by the time I get around to sewing, and reviewing, a pattern...it's discontinued. Typical.

These are McCall's 6404 and I like them a lot, mostly because the sweet seaming details on the legs. I'd like them even more if I could get the smaller size envelope, but I can't. Because it's OOP.

leggings pattern
Really, McCall's? Is it that hard to just put all five sizes of leggings in the same envelope? You can put five dress sizes in one envelope for crap's sake!

Ignore the "I could never be a ~real~ blogger" face-- picture in B&W with added contrast to try to show you the leg seams.
Anyway, I purchased the larger sizeway, measuring for the largest size (XL). I sewed the next size down based on reviews and finished garment measurements and still had to take them in. Ideally, I would go down to a medium, if I had that size. Since I don't, I'll make do with slicing some off my pattern. Which I guess works, since the stomach fits relatively well, so I can grade in at my narrow hips but leave the bigger waist measurement. (Lazy girl's full tummy adjustment ftw!)

Too big - too short (I only added 3 inches) - baggy crotch lines (need full tummy adjustment or crotch curve change? Not actually something I care too much to fix next time, we'll see.)
All that said, I like this pattern despite some other fitting issues (see the picture) and my biggest concern for the next pair is having the legs more narrow and tighter, which is what most of the other reviewers said as well.

I go into a little more detail in the video review:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname