Monday, November 19, 2012

DIY cowboy bandanna pillow (from an upcycled souvenir scarf!)

DSC01395
I fell in love with this vintage bandana as soon as I spotted it in the thrift shop! Amazing, bright, saturated colors, a retro cowboy theme (love that as a ranch girl), and it was a souvenir scarf. I love me some vintage souvenirs.

Seeing as I'm not fixin' to hold up a stagecoach any time soon, I don't have much use for a bandana. Somewhere along the line I decided to turn it into a throw pillow.

It had a couple of tiny holes I didn't notice until I got it out of the shop, but I would've bought it anyway. The first step was to patch the holes. I don't have a detail picture of this, but I like how it turned out. I used some of the red paisley print last seen here, cutting tiny squares just slightly larger than the holes. I also cut out fusible interfacing large enough for the entire bandana, which actually took two pieces. When I fused the interfacing to the bandana, I just made sure the fabric patches lined up exactly with the holes from the underside of the bandana. Then, I sewed around the holes, so they ended up looking kind of like a reverse applique. You can barely notice them on the finished pillow cover, but I think they look kind of cute in that worn cowboy bandana kind of way.
Bandanna pillow
To finish things up, I cut two rectangles of muslin for a split back and did the edges in a bias tape. Sorry, I didn't take pics of the back; I was so enamored with the front. I don't remember what size pillow form this is,  but it's pretty big and a perfect fit.

The pillow ended up living in my son's bedroom because that's the only room with this color scheme. Plus, I actually think it goes quite well with the rest of the retro theme working in there, including the retro robots and some other 1950s-style cowboy stuff.

The quilt the pillow is sitting on was made for me as a baby, I should've shared pictures of the front of it too as it's quite sweet.

Does Google Chrome not know how to spell? Because it keeps wanting me stick a third "N" in bandana. I started worrying I spelled it wrong in the picture! I didn't, right?

This project is linked at:
House of Hepworths, Momnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple, Katie's Nesting Spot, Seven Thirty-Three, The 36th Avenue, Artsy Fartsy Mama, Sew Can Do, Craft O Maniac, Sumo Sweet Stuff, Making the World Cuter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname